Monday, August 31, 2009

The Limits of Rational Thinking

The Limits of Rational Thinking

So God said to Noah, “I have decided to destroy all living creatures, for they have filled the earth with violence. Yes, I will wipe them all out along with the earth! Build a large boat from cypress wood and waterproof it with tar, inside and out. Then construct decks and stalls throughout its interior.
Genesis 6:13-14 , NLT

When Noah heard from God that he was going to destroy the world and a boat had to be built, Noah responded without hesitation and started building. I have to be honest. If it was me being asked to do such a thing I would have a fair number of questions to ask before I did something that seemed so irrational. And that is the crux of the problem… rationality.

The problem with rationality is that it limits what we can believe. If we only believe what makes sense in our heads then we miss so much of who God is and what He wants to say to us. If we only act upon that which makes sense to us, we will miss so much of what God has for us.

Knowing God and deepening our relationship with Him counters the limits of our rational thinking. The only way Noah could have acted in the way he did was because he knew it was God who was speaking and because he believed God knew best.

We often don't hear God clearly or think something isn't from God because it doesn't make sense in our minds. Yet, we're not called to only do what we think is the right and sensible thing. We're called to live by faith and sometimes that means doing something we don't want to do, like to do or can't see a reason for doing. But, the rewards of living by faith are limitless because our God is a limitless God!

Prayer: Father God, help me to listen to You without the limitations of my thinking. Help me to have enough faith to step out and obey Your voice, even if it doesn't make sense to me. But most of all God, help me to remove the barriers between me and You so I can hear Your voice more clearly. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Today's Writer : Lindsey Hanekom
Lindsey Hanekom has, over the years, worked at all our UK centres! In 2003 Lindsey and her husband, Johann, joined the Blairmore team where she worked as the Centre Administrator as well as ministering and teaching on retreats and courses. She is currently a full-time mum to her baby son, Kyle and enjoys country sports in her spare time.

No comments: