Friday, August 28, 2009

The Gentle Shepherd

The Gentle Shepherd

He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young.
Isaiah 40:11, NIV

In Isaiah 40:11 we find a beautiful prophetic picture of Jesus as the Good Shepherd who cares for each one of us. Our Good Shepherd delights in scooping us up in His arms and holding us close to His heart. Someone on a Healing Retreat met with Jesus in this way and wrote of her experience as follows:

"The Lord scooped me up into His huge loving arms and comforted me. There were no tears, but a sense of the awesomeness of His glory and His perfect, amazing, pure, deep, agape love. It was indescribable. It was in this sense of awe and wonder, surrounded by the love of Jesus, and with this picture of the Lord scooping me up to comfort me that I came to Ellel, desperate for the first time in my life to shake off the sin that so easily entangles, receive ministry, and return to the world - perhaps still broken, but desiring to be that mouldable clay for the divine Potter to fashion.

He has been so gentle to me, ministering to those deepest and darkest places in my soul that have come to light through confession. In repentance for all those backslidden years, the washing of the precious blood of Jesus and the work of the Holy Spirit has lifted me, unburdened me and unravelled me. It's not that I've been let off the hook. The foundation is sealed to move on in God with that assurance of faith, and total assurance of the Lord's healing touch, His gentleness, His comfort, His power, His awesomeness, His grace and His majesty. Jesus is creating in me a pure heart, renewing a steadfast spirit within me, restoring to me the joy of His salvation and granting me a willing spirit to sustain me. To God be the glory."

Jesus wants to meet with you in a similar way. Surrender yourself afresh to Him today and allow Him to bring His healing, comfort and love into your life.

Prayer: Thank You, Jesus, that You are the Good Shepherd. Help me to know that You delight to hold me in Your arms close to Your heart. Help me to know and experience that love in my life today. Amen.


Today's Writer : Paul Griffin
Paul Griffin is a member of the Executive Leadership of Ellel and serves as the Trust Secretary. He spent 20 years working as a chemical engineer for an oil company in South Africa, the Middle East and Japan prior to going to Bible College. Paul and his wife Liz have been involved with Ellel since 1991 and are authors of the books ‘Anger …How do you Handle it?' and ‘Hope and Healing for the Abused.'

No comments: