Monday, November 8, 2010

My Greatest Aim

My Greatest Aim

"And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. We love him, because he first loved us;"
1 John 4:16 & 19, LB

What’s the driving force in your life? I took a step back the other day, as I wanted
to discover the answer to this question. I knew what the answer should be but I wanted to be honest with myself and with God. I asked myself these questions.

‘What makes me do the things that I do? What results am I hoping to achieve?
Who benefits from those things? What is my goal? What does God say about it?
How can I get it all right and what is the best way to live my life?’

As a Christian I’m not immune from wrong motives - I could still be driven by ambition, popularity or success, wanting the latest technology available or striving for a high position in business or even for a particular relationship. I know that love for God may be the very reason why I embark on various goals but it’s always good to watch that my motives stay pure.

The apostle Paul says ‘Let love be your greatest aim’ (1 Corinthians 14:1), and I know that love should be the driving force in my life, but how can I connect it to all the other things that want to be in the driving seat? Sometimes, it seems, there’s just the need for ‘survival’, keeping fit and healthy and all the things that go with it, or keeping a secure and comfortable place to live. Then there are the other things; maintaining good contact with family and friends, doing things to please them, enjoying recreation and pleasure, being part of the Body of Christ, filling up my basket with the good things from the Lord to share with others, and travelling and labouring in the work of the Lord.

Before I do anything, I must get my heart attuned to God, and let His Holy Spirit flow
from His heart to mine, allowing Him to reveal His deep love to me, and follow His every word - His love’s instructions.

Prayer: Dear Lord, May the driving force in my life be in response to the love that was given to me at Calvary. May the things that I do bring glory to You. Help me to make love my greatest aim whatever project I embark on. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.

Today's Writer : Pam Smith Pam Smith has a background in art and nursing, has a son and two daughters and a 'ministry to grandchildren.' She has been a friend and helper of Ellel Ministries since l992, and is involved with Healing Through Creativity Courses. As writer of the Shepherd Love Series, she has a passion for the comfort and encouragement that leads people towards enjoying abundant Life in Jesus.

No comments: