Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Tongue Has the Power of life and Death 2

The Tongue Has the Power of life and Death 2
The tongue has the power of life and death and those who love it will eat its fruit.

Proverbs 18:21, NIV
Continuing the theme of the power of words to bring life or death, today I have another question. Do you remember any words spoken to you which brought death? Death of hope. Death to your spirit.

Perhaps you heard this sort of thing as a child: You are hopeless! No-one will want to marry you! Why can’t you be like your sister (or brother)? You’re stupid. You’re no use!
Why not take a moment to ask Jesus to bring to your mind any words that were spoken about you which cut your heart.

When such words come from people we love and trust, it hurts so much more. Also words carry more power when they come from someone in authority - because we are more likely to believe what they say. Have you ever spoken to God about it? Have you ever said ‘I forgive that person’?

Now someone may say - well I don’t really need to forgive because what they said about me is true. I wonder if you’ve ever thought of really sitting down and questioning whether some of those words are actually true. True by God’s definition of truth.

They might feel true! Feelings aren’t always right however. Does the Bible say ‘if you feel something is true then it is true’? No, I can’t think of any verse that says that!

So what is God’s definition of truth? John 1:17 says ..truth came through Jesus Christ. Jesus said ‘I tell you the truth’ at least 80 times. And ‘I am the way, the truth and the life.’ So if we want to know the truth, we can look at the Bible and see what Jesus says about us. What does He say about you? You could ask Him to show you.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I was cut inside when that person said those words about me. I think I did believe it. If this was not Your truth about me then I’m asking You to show me. I forgive them for what they said. I ask You to remove any negative spiritual power from those words. Your words are life, Your words are loving and kind. Please speak Your words about me. Thank You. Amen.
Today's Writer : Grace Marshall Grace Marshall is a member of the Ellel Pierrepont team and also works one day a week as a doctor in general practice near Southampton. Previously she was a full-time GP for 15 years and a member of the Ellel associate ministry team and teacher. Her passion is relationship with God and doing anything that will help other people to find that close relationship too.

No comments: