Friday, April 2, 2010

Led into God’s Purposes

Led into God’s Purposes
But he brought us out from there to bring us in and give us the land that he promised on oath to our forefathers.

Deuteronomy 6:23, NIV
These words of Moses to Israel just after he had reminded them of the LORD’S commandments spoke with freshness to me as I read them one morning. They reminded me of how God has led and directed my wife and myself into a ministry of healing and deliverance.

From infancy I attended Sunday School and learned about the things Jesus taught and did, and how Jesus sent out His disciples to go and do the same. I longed to have the same experience that those disciples and the early church had when they saw miracles happen, but I became aware that there was a missing dimension to my Christian life. I wanted to be brought out of that barren place into the place those early Christians had experienced

My wife and I, along with a group of friends began to search for what we felt was missing, yet at the time were not fully aware of what that might be. We would meet together each month to pray and search the Scriptures as we tried to understand what it was we were seeking. Then the Lord came to us all in different ways and eventually my wife, our children and myself experienced the Holy Spirit’s power coming upon us.

The Lord had been gradually leading us into a new experience of Himself at work in our lives and showing us that we too could experience His power at work to deliver people who were bound and to bring healing to those who were sick. He had truly ‘brought us out from there to bring us in’ to a new experience of Himself and His power to work out His purposes, Hallelujah!

Even today, many years later, we regularly thank God for the foundation laid in those early years of Sunday School teaching, and for those godly teachers who taught us so much of His Word. We still pray that the eyes of many more people might be opened to recognise the dimension that is available to us all through the Holy Spirit.

Let us take to heart the words of Jesus who said, ‘Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find’ (Matthew 7:7), and, ‘When He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all truth’ (John 16:13). Then let’s ask that He might open our eyes and behold the wonderful things God can do when we respond to His leading.

Prayer: Father God, thank You for sending Your Holy Spirit to be my counsellor and guide. Please forgive me if I have been blind or deaf and have not recognised or listened to Him as He has tried to lead me in Your ways. Please fill me to overflowing with all that you have for me through Your Holy Spirit, I pray, Amen. Today's Writer : David Silvester David Silvester is married and has a son, two daughters and eight grandchildren. He trained as a production engineer. He then moved on to become a lecturer of engineering craft skills before being called of God in his early fifties to become a pastor of a Baptist church. He says that,"having previously experienced an amazing healing on a day others expected me to die, it came as no surprise that God directed me and my wife, Margaret, to become involved with Ellel Ministries."

No comments: