Friday, April 2, 2010

In God’s Eyes

In God’s Eyes

But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.

1 Samuel 16:7, NIV
Every morning, before I go out of my room, it’s my habit to look at myself in the mirror as I’m sure others do as well. If I don’t look at myself I won’t have enough confidence. My physical appearance is what I can see, but the inside I can’t see also determines a lot about how I will feel during the day. Maybe this morning you looked at yourself in the mirror. How did you see yourself?

The pressures of the world are so focussed on how one looks physically and many people are focussed on physical looks more than what’s on the inside. Many people are crushed spiritually and emotionally on the inside.

Our eyes can have a distorted view because they only see the physical. But we also have spiritual eyes with which we can look at ourselves. These eyes look at us the way God sees us.

God tells Samuel to go into the house of Jesse and anoint a king to lead in place of Saul. I can almost visualize the elder Sons of Jesse standing in a queue waiting for the oil of Kingship. They were in Saul’s army, and they must have been very strong men. Yet when the Lord looked at them there was none who was to be king among them. He firmly instructs Samuel not to look at their appearance but the heart. David who was younger became the Lord’s anointed.

This Scripture gives me insight on the way God looks at us, He sees sons and daughters bought by the blood of His Son Jesus Christ. He sees Princes and princesses who can administer His authority over powers of darkness. He sees you as a conqueror.

God’s word is the mirror that shows us how God looks at us. It’s His love letter to all His children. In His word, He encourages, instructs, rebukes, corrects, promises and fulfils His will in our lives so that we can be transformed and conformed to His image (see Romans 8).

Everyday make it your purpose to look at yourself as God looks at you and not as you see yourself or as the world sees you. God loves you.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, Thank You for Your love and care to me. Thank You for making me, me. Please open my eyes to see myself as You see me. Show me the truths of Your word and transform me to be more like You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Today's Writer : Joan Rono Joan Rono was on the young people’s team in the year 2008-2009. She is now working as a Youth Pastor at Ellel Grange, UK. She worked in full time ministry in her church in Kenya before she joined the YPT last year, in obedience to God’s call in her life. She has a passion to see the young people walk in purity and holiness.

No comments: