Monday, November 2, 2009

Persevere in Service

Persevere in Service

But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.

Luke 8:15, NIV
I recently tore my calf muscle whilst playing squash, and although the natural healing of my body had kicked in, getting out of bed in the morning and hobbling around all day at work had suddenly become a very painful and slow process.

I was feeling a little sorry for myself one morning and the thought of staying at home for a week or two, taking it easy, and just waiting for the injury to right itself seemed very attractive to me. But, as I read the familiar words of the parable of the sower, I was suddenly struck by this verse ‘But the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop.’

Sometimes we need to persevere in our service of Christ, even through difficult and painful circumstances, such as the loss of a loved one or a major disappointment. For me walking around, or even standing on my leg, had become a painful activity. Later that day the doctor confirmed that I needed to persevere in using my leg, and, although painful, this would aid the healing process. Not a welcome message, but it did confirm what God had said to me!

Maybe you, like me, are facing something that is causing you physical or emotional pain and you need God’s help to cope with it. Then let me encourage you that He will never leave you or forsake you. He understands what you’re going through and He will walk each step of the way with you, if you’re willing to invite Him to. Indeed, as this verse says, by persevering in our service of Christ, we will please Him and produce a good crop.

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I thank You that You understand all the circumstances of my life, my sorrow and pain as well as my joy. I invite You to take my hand and walk with me each day. Please bring Your comfort and healing and help me to serve you faithfully all the days of my life. Amen.
Today's Writer : Andy Willis Andy Willis is married and has three sons. He is a qualified Project Manager and IS Auditor. He and his wife were very much led to undertake the Ellel modular training which was both life transforming and preparation for further service in God’s kingdom. Andy recently joined the team at Ellel Grange, and is now responsible for some of the commercial activities of Ellel Ministries.

No comments: