Monday, September 7, 2009

Worship

Worship

God is Spirit and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and in truth.
John 4:24, NKJ

I was recently challenged about what I meant by ‘worship'. Someone who had listened to me teaching thought that I meant we all had to raise our hands when singing, and wave them about! I assured her that nothing could be further from the truth, even though raising one's hands can be a rightful physical expression of what is going on in our hearts.

Jesus tells the woman at the well that she must worship God in spirit and in truth (emphasis added). Our human spirits are very vulnerable, particularly when we are small, and can be easily damaged, either through rejection or fear, and when this happens we often find it hard to worship because our trust has been shaken.

Some of the most wonderful times of worship I have experienced have been on my own in our garden, gazing at the wonder of God's creation all around me, looking at a flower or watching a bird. I was wandering along a path between ploughed fields in Scotland not long ago, watching the shadows of the clouds, seeing how the sun was falling on the furrows and just praising God for the sheer beauty of it all. I sensed Him whisper to me, “I made it for you to enjoy too.” It was a very special moment. Recently my husband and I have celebrated our Ruby Wedding and the party we had with friends and family was such a wonderfully happy occasion, I couldn't sleep that night, so I spent the time worshipping and thanking God!

Worship can range from quiet contemplation to joyful exuberance, dancing and singing as David did (2 Samuel 6:14), but it's all about the relationship between ourselves and our heavenly Father.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, I sometimes find it hard to reach out in trust. I long to draw closer to You, but seem to struggle sometimes. Please help me, Father, to worship you in spirit and in truth. In Jesus' name, Amen.


Today's Writer : Angela Weir
Angela Weir has been associated with Ellel Ministries from the very beginning, first as an associate member of the ministry team and later as an associate teacher. She trained as an actress and after her marriage and move to Cumbria, taught drama in a girls' school.

No comments: