Monday, September 7, 2009

What Are My Motives?

What Are My Motives?

I, the Lord, search all hearts and examine secret motives. I give all people their due rewards, according to what their actions deserve.
Jeremiah 17:10, NLT

When I read this scripture it made me stop and think! What are my secret motives? What do my actions deserve? The truth is, all of us sin, and the wages of sin is death (Romans 6:23), so what I deserve is death! If we read on in Romans though, we get to the good news; 'the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.' If we're in Christ, He has paid the price for us.

However, we're still accountable for our actions and need to allow Him to show us any secret motives we may have and help us walk in His ways. Then we can let our actions show the love of Christ and His truth to the world.

How often do I do things that might be good, but I do them with the wrong motive? When I do things with the wrong motive, then Christ's love is not compelling me. So I won't be reflecting Christ to the world. Jesus said that people will know we're His disciples by our love for one another. Now, more than ever, the world needs to see true disciples of Christ who love one another.

We need to allow Christ to show us what's in our hearts, so that we can change and become more like Him. Then we can be a light to the world. Let's be compelled by His love to be better witnesses to the truth of God.

Prayer: Lord, please help my words and actions to be motivated by Your love. Thank You for paying the price that I may have eternal life with You. I want to live in a way that will reflect You to all those around me. In Jesus' Name, Amen.


Today's Writer : Tanya Person
Tanya Person and her husband and four children are missionaries to Hungary, and are serving as Assistant Directors for Ellel East Regional Nations, where they travel to Romania, Slovakia, Serbia and other countries teaching Ellel schools. They have a passion to see the church discipled and walking in God's fullness of life and freedom.

No comments: