Monday, September 7, 2009

Paper Crowns

Paper Crowns

Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, that I am the LORD who exercises loving-kindness, justice and righteousness on earth; for I delight in these things,' declares the LORD.
Jeremiah 9: 23-24, NIV

You may not be shocked to discover that the local Salad & Sushi Bar wouldn't be my kids favourite place to eat! No, they prefer the more 'royal' option... Burger King! First, there's the complimentary toy which always causes the greatest enthusiasm. Secondly, there's the staple 'kid friendly' menu of chicken nuggets, fries and soda. Lastly, to seal it all off, there's the free cardboard gold crown you can wear as you eat your meal!

My kids love nothing more than wearing their crowns. They take turns issuing decrees and commands, and generally revelling in their newly self-appointed position of splendour as they boss each other around.

On returning home and emptying the car of the empty bags and, now discarded, paper crowns, I was reminded of how similar these fake crowns are to the ones we can wear on our own heads as Christians.

How easy it is for us to boast in our own cleverness and works. We can so easily wear crowns (appointed by ourselves) that reflect our service to the Lord, or our faith, or even our humility! Revelling in our own self-appointed splendour, we build ourselves paper thrones on which to sit. Before long we begin to pass cheap judgment and criticism on the lives of the people around us.

I would encourage you today to look at your own heart and ask God to show you any paper crowns you may be wearing. Lay them down at His cross and ask Him to destroy the cheap thrones where you've sat and passed judgment on others.

As we lay down the crowns bought with our own achievements and good deeds, and turn our eyes instead to the One who deserves all glory and praise - only then can we wear the true crown of splendour that He designed. This crown boasts only of who He is!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I'm sorry for the pride and arrogance there has been in my heart. Lord, I'm sorry for the cheap judgements I have made about other people, when only you see the true heart of all men. Help me to take my eyes off myself and instead keep them on You. To You be all the glory and all the praise in my life. In Jesus' Name Amen.

Today's Writer : Cath Taylor
Cath Taylor joined the Ellel Grange team back in 1992. Cath is married to Andy and they have three sons; Jake, Ben and Isaac. Together, Andy and Cath now live in Florida and lead the Ellel USA team.

No comments: