Monday, February 22, 2010

Only One Thing

Only One Thing

But the Lord said to her, “Martha, dear friend, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it – and I won’t take it away from her!”

Luke 10:41, LB
I had worked for about ten hours on creating a piece of work on my computer, which I was very excited about, when in a couple of seconds it all disappeared in front of my eyes and I was very upset. Then I read the above words and they went deep into my spirit.

I thought how much life is like that. It is like a vapour that lasts for a little while and then vanishes. Jesus wants to give us something that can never be taken away. I know that I should be like Mary, wanting that one thing that’s worth far more than anything else.

As it says in Psalm 27.4, ‘The one thing I want from God, the thing I seek most of all, is the privilege of meditating in His Temple, living in his presence every day of my life, delighting in his incomparable perfections and glory’.

If I wanted this more than anything else these trials and disappointments would have little effect compared to the gladness and joy He gives, which is far greater than anything we can achieve or create. This is something, way beyond ourselves, that is worth being concerned about and we can’t be robbed of this joy.

We can welcome Jesus into our lives and even serve him, like Martha, and yet still be too busy to listen to Him. But Jesus really loved Martha and didn’t want her to miss out.

Prayer: Forgive me Lord, for being busy and concerned about little things. Help me to sit at Your feet and to choose the best part that can never be taken away, like Mary. In Jesus’ Name. Amen.
Today's Writer : Pam Smith Pam Smith has a background in art and nursing, has a son and two daughters and a 'ministry to grandchildren.' She has been a friend and helper of Ellel Ministries since l992, and is involved with Healing Through Creativity Courses. As writer of the Shepherd Love Series, she has a passion for the comfort and encouragement that leads people towards enjoying abundant Life in Jesus.

No comments: