Sunday, January 9, 2011

Impulse Buys!

Impulse Buys!

"I listen carefully to what God the Lord is saying, for He speaks peace to His faithful people."
Psalm 85:8, NLT

With all the sales that shops have this time of year it’s the perfect time to find a bargain. It’s also the worst time of year to overstock your wardrobe with impulse buys! My wardrobe and drawers can tell stories of at least a few impulse, bargain buys that I have lived to regret over the years!

For many of us, it isn’t just physical impulse buys that affect our lives. Perhaps you have become good at ‘buying’, impulsively, many of the lies that the enemy tells you. Sadly it’s too easy for us all to hear those whispers of insecurity, and declarations of doom and despair that the enemy loves to speak over our lives. How quick and easy it can then be for us to ‘buy’ these whispers and accept them as truth. Before we know it they are sat in the wardrobes of our heart, crowding out the truth of God’s love, His trustworthiness and His plans for our lives.

I’ve decided this year that I’m going to be much less impulsive in what I listen to and ‘buy’. My desire is to listen to the Lord’s heart and to hear only His truth. To make sure what I ‘buy’ is only the truth that comes from the One who holds my life in His hands, and who can truly be trusted. If we learn to listen only to the Lord, then the temptation and impulse to buy the words of darkness, despair, hopelessness, fear, insecurity and doubt, and allow them to creep into our hearts, will lose its power. So, let’s draw close to the One who has words of life, hope, blessing, security and love – the One to whom we belong, and whose words and thoughts are the only ones that matter – Jesus!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, I’m sorry for listening to other people’s opinions, my own insecurities and the enemy’s lies when I should have been listening only to You. Lord, help me to know You more, so that I can hear Your voice above the temptations of lies that are sometimes easier to hear. Draw me closer to You, Lord, and teach me more of Your ways and Your heart, in Jesus’ name, Amen.

Today's Writer : Cath Taylor Cath Taylor joined the Ellel Grange team back in 1992. Cath is married to Andy and they have three sons; Jake, Ben and Isaac. Together, Andy and Cath now live in Florida and lead the Ellel USA team.

No comments: